Persistently high unemployment and the education-employment skills mismatch have spurred governments to undertake VET reform to increase the quantity and quality of dual system apprenticeships.
This has generated an excess supply of apprenticeships seekers over employer demand due to SMEs difficulty to afford the staff hours needed to guide/administrate apprentices. This is compounded by lack of information, sectoral mismatches and absence of cooperation.
Today when SMEs face problems related to start up, innovation and growth, they find help in intermediary organizations, such as chambers of commerce, enterprise support offices in local authorities, regional economic development agencies. Nonetheless these organizations are staffed by highly professional business advisors, yet apprenticeships are entirely missing from their service provision.
Eurochambres calls on intermediaries to develop communications for smaller businesses, provide contacts to local VET to deliver practical support and increase quality through train the trainer schemes.
By strengthening intermediaries we can bolster the institutional frameworks to encourage SMEs participation.
These resources will boost the ability of intermediary organisations to work more closely with VET providers and inform, guide and train SMEs to become apprentice employers in the short term. As a result of RAISE, 80+ intermediary organisations will:
- improve their knowledge relating to the “business case” for SME involvement
- gain information on potential sectors where apprenticeships can be developed in their particular region
- be able to quickly incorporate this new knowledge and transmit knowledge and skills to embark on apprenticeships for SME constituents and clients
- improve their staff expertise and overall organisational performance in this increasingly important area of public policy
- build the person contracts with VET providers and other stakeholders required to develop new apprenticeship opportunities for SMEs
- have a large voice in helping shape apprenticeship policy – they represent SMEs more and bring that new information to the policy table higher up the government chain
Coordinatior: Polnocna Izba Gospodarcza
Contact details: email@example.com
- Polnocna Izba Gospodarcza, PL
- Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie de Nantes, FR
- Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council, UK
- Canice Consulting, UK
- Letterkenny Institute of Technology, IE
- Momentum Marketing Services, IE
- Barcelona Official Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Services and Navigation, SP
- EfVET, BE
- Stichting Business Development Friesland, NL
Duration: 01.09.2016 -31.08.2018
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook