- identify users
- remember users’ custom preferences
- help users complete tasks without having to re‑enter information when browsing from one page to another or when visiting the site later.
Cookies can also be used for online behavioural target advertising and to show adverts relevant to something that the user searched for in the past.
How are they used?
What are the different types of cookies?
A cookie can be classified by its lifespan and the domain to which it belongs. By lifespan, a cookie is either a:
- session cookie which is erased when the user closes the browser or
- persistent cookie which remains on the user’s computer/device for a pre-defined period of time.
As for the domain to which it belongs, there are either:
- first-party cookies which are set by the web server of the visited page and share the same domain
What cookies do we use?
- Performance cookies. We use Google Analytics cookies to collect information about the use of our Site, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. This helps us improve your browsing experience. Google Analytics analyses your interaction with our website and stores information about IP address, operating system, web browser, pages visited, demographics of the users, the device used, and where the visit originated. Google provides certain privacy options and choices in this regard, which are described here.
Our Site has buttons that link to Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube. The providers of these third-party social widgets may set cookies to collect information regarding our Site users and their interactions with the social widgets. Please review the privacy policies of the social widget providers for more information.